Users may experience a situation where their Killer Control Center says “Service Not Running” instead of operating normally.
There are a few situations in which this error will occur:
- You are not using a Killer Networking adapter. Our software only works with our brand of networking adapters.
- You are attempting to use the latest version of the Killer Control Center with a Wireless-N networking adapter. The Wireless-N 1102, 1103, and 1202 are only compatible with version 1.5.1859 of the Killer Control Center.
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Killer E2200, Killer E2400, Killer E2500, Killer Wireless-N 1202, Killer Wireless-AC 1435, Killer Wireless-AC 1525, Killer Wireless-AC 1535, Killer Wireless-AC 1550
- You are using an outdated version of the Killer Control Center. Try clean-installing the latest release. Click here for our clean install guide.
- Your machine or motherboard manufacturer pushed an update for the Killer Control Center through Windows Update, which did not correctly register the service, resulting in the service being removed and not replaced with an updated version. If the Killer Control Center was working normally before a reboot, this is likely the case. A clean-install will also resolve this issue. Click here for our clean install guide.
- You have already updated to the newest Killer Control Center for your adapter, but the service did not register correctly.
If updating the suite does not solve the issue, then you will need to investigate why the service is not starting automatically. If the service does not start automatically when the machine starts, then there is likely another service that is preventing it from starting, or the service is not set to start automatically
You can check to make sure that the service is set to run automatically by following these steps:
- Click Start, type services.msc and press Enter.
- Scroll until you find the Killer Network Service and double-click it.
- Make sure the “Startup Type” is set to Automatic. You can also manually start it from here by clicking the Start button, which will clear the error until you next restart your machine.
Antivirus suites can also cause issues with services. Try temporarily completely uninstalling your antivirus suite and restarting to see if that solves the problem. If the service starts without the antivirus suite installed, reinstall the suite using a freshly downloaded copy from the suite’s website. The service may still start automatically after you have reinstalled the antivirus application. If it does not, please contact us to let us know which antivirus suite is blocking our service from starting, please submit a support ticket at the link below. Also, we advise you to contact your antivirus application’s support to find out how to add our service to the list of exclusions.
If our service still does not start, and you still receive the “Service Not Running” error with no antivirus installed, and while using the latest Killer Control Center, please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.